Survivors of three Americans killed by targeted drone attacks in Yemen last year sued top-ranking members of the United States government, alleging Wednesday they illegally killed the three, including a 16-year-old boy, in violation of international human rights law and the U.S. Constitution.
“The government has killed three Americans. It should account for its actions. This case gives us an opportunity to do that,” Jameel Jaffer, deputy legal director with the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a press call.
The suit, (.pdf) being litigated by the ACLU and the Center for Constitutional Rights, seeks unspecified damages and highlights the government’s so-called unmanned drone “targeted killing” program that the ACLU and the center maintain have killed thousands, including hundreds of innocent bystanders overseas.
The suit, the first of its kind, alleges the United States was not engaged in an armed conflict with or within Yemen, prohibiting the use of lethal force unless “at the time it is applied, lethal force is a last resort to protect against a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of death or serious physical injury.” The case directly challenges the government’s decision to kill Americans without judicial scrutiny.
At bottom, Jaffer said, “the question is whether the government is justified in killing without charging them or trying them for anything.”
The suit is brought on behalf of cleric Anwar Al-Aulaqi, who the Obama administration claimed was a recruiter and planner for al-Qaida, who was known for his blog, Facebook page and YouTube videos. The U.S. authorities claim he had contacts with the 9/11 hijackers, the underwear bomber and others. He was killed Sept. 30 last year. Also killed was Samir Khan, the editor of the English magazine Inspire, which allegedly was published by Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.
Two weeks later, the cleric’s 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman Al-Aulaqi, was killed in a separate Yemen attack.
The defendants include Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, CIA Director David Petraeus, U.S. Navy Adm. William H. McRaven and U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Joseph Votel.
Citing U.S. officials, the Washington Post has reported that the son and Khan were not intended targets.
The Justice Department did not immediately respond for comment. The administration refuses to release the Justice Department memo that legally justifies targeting Americans, and according to the New York Times, President Obama approves or denies who gets added to the “kill list.”
- imsoblackimbright reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- theblackballedlife reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- theblackballedlife likes this
- dokaddu reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- franniecreamcheese likes this
- negro-stein reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- jadedataraxia729 likes this
- infiniteblackinfinitebright likes this
- revolutionarysandwich likes this
- assxssin likes this
- themountainsareallwaiting likes this
- pope-john-paul-george-and-ringo likes this
- skepticamongthefaithful reblogged this from quecaigaelsistema
- quecaigaelsistema reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- skepticamongthefaithful likes this
- cheekylineofdevildust reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- flirtingwithfoolishness reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- kingvincentiv reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- zorrozapatistazootero reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- zorrozapatistazootero likes this
- disciplesofmalcolm reblogged this from dirtcrass
- dirtcrass reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- cityyandcolour likes this
- crookedthinking95 likes this
- crookedthinking95 reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- bratty-a likes this
- bastns likes this
- godzilladontplay reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- blvckinfamous reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm and added:
- all-black-every-thing likes this
- nubiangold reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- outsideshits likes this
- farfromcali likes this
- neoliberalismkills reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- ramen-n00dz likes this
- borderlinebachelor reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- unclezach likes this
- whitestkiduknows likes this
- serenityamongstchaos likes this
- inkdefense reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- newzat10 reblogged this from disciplesofmalcolm
- kerriconfidential reblogged this from cinnamonnipz
- life-and-liberty reblogged this from capitalismconcarne
- itsalljustenergyandinfoman reblogged this from anarcho-queer
- echo0 likes this
- searchingforknowledge reblogged this from wageslaverebellion
- redflagsgalore reblogged this from wageslaverebellion
- ossa-coxae reblogged this from anarcho-queer