Total Surveillance : Rogue Cell Towers appearing across the US
CENTENNIAL, Colo.—James Holmes, the 24-year-old charged in last month’s deadly Aurora, Colo., theater shooting, is mentally ill, his lawyers disclosed during a court appearance that featured an unusual outburst on Thursday.
Chief District Judge William Sylvester heard testimony from representatives of more than 20 news organizations asking for search warrants and other records related to the case to be unsealed.
Both the prosecution and defense argued that releasing such information would jeopardize their respective cases.
"The prosecution’s duty in this case is to ensure a fair trial with a just outcome," Jacob Edson, an attorney for the prosecution, said. "We are not even three weeks from the date of this crime. Law enforcement has been working very hard to interview witnesses and victims. This is not an ordinary case."
"The public is completely in the dark about what is going on in this judicial proceeding," Steven Zansberg, the attorney for several media organizations, told the judge.
Sylvester, who had issued the gag order, said he would not decide on the matter until next week.
Holmes, the former Ph.D student, looked as he has in previous court appearances: his hair dyed orange, dressed in a maroon prison jumpsuit. He did not speak during the hearing, but had “the same dazed demeanor,” the Associated Press said.
There was some drama during Thursday’s mostly procedural hearing. A woman seated in the second-to-last row of the courtroom stood up and said she had evidence of judicial misconduct on behalf of the public defender.
“I tried to deliver information vital to the defense of James Holmes to the public defender,” the woman—in a red dress with a shaved head—said, her voice shaking.
The woman, who was held by two deputies, said the defense team told her they were not willing to speak to Holmes about that information.
“It will do the victims’ families justice to have this information,” the woman, who identified herself as Allison Michelle Ernst, said as she was led out of the courtroom.
Twelve people were killed and 58 others injured in the July 20 massacre at a midnight screening of “Dark Knight Rises.”
Focusing on stopping ballistic missiles and featuring thousands of soldiers, the October drill will simulate simultaneous rocket fire from Syria and Iran
Israel and the US are set to hold their largest ever joint military exercise in October, featuring thousands of soldiers and advanced anti-missile defense systems, and simulating simultaneous fire from Iran and Syria.
News of the drill comes amid ongoing violence in Syria, and with Israel and the US closely discussing the means to thwart Iran’s nuclear drive. The commander of the 3rd Air Force, Lt.-Gen.Craig A. Franklin, on a recent visit to Israel, established a planning committee with representatives of the IDF to coordinate the details of the exercise, the Maariv Hebrew daily reported Monday. Some 3,000 US soldiers are to participate, alongside thousands of Israeli troops.
The drill will simulate missiles being fired at Israel from Iran and Syria simultaneously, with potentially tens, if not hundreds, of rockets mid-air at the same time. Israel will test its upgraded Arrow 2 defense system, while the US will deploy the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System andPAC-3 Patriot air defense platforms.
According to Maariv, some military analysts have nicknamed the exercise a “dress rehearsal” for a potential military conflict, noting that it will send a clear message to Iran at a time during which the impact of international sanctions, or lack thereof, will be clearer.
News of the drill comes shortly after talks between world powers and Iran regarding Tehran’s nuclear program broke up without progress in Moscow.